Friday, June 11, 2010

The Up Side of Cancer

1. No bad hair days.

2. You feel so crappy some days you no longer mess with the toilet paper holder. Your husband doesn't complain, and even acts downright thankful when you place the Costco 6 roll bulk pack of tissue near the toilet for everyone's use. Notice...one end is open. How thoughtful of me!

Have at, family!
Photobucket

3. When you notice grown adults rudely staring at the lumpy, odd shaped port under your skin to no avail, you get to make the split decision to let it go or embarrass the crap out of them by screaming..."Take a picture...it's a port! I need it for chemotherapy woman!!!" I've taken both the high road and the low road and they both felt great.

4. You get to buy and/or make silly yummy cakes and cuss out cancer. Then you eat the entire cake by yourself because the family is too scared of your reaction to take a piece. I swear I found them in a huddle near the fridge one night trying to decide if it was worth the risk.

5. You get to love your sister and two brothers even more than you already did. (That's you, Dave, Danny and Carla.)

6. You get to see friends you haven't seen in years! You hear nearly bi-weekly from that awesome college roommate you always knew you should have called and written more often. (That's you, Lori.)

You get to laugh your butt off at lunch with old girlfriends that drove an hour + to see you when you ask one of them "Geez, it's been 10+ years, how did you meet your husband??....expecting the 'Through church, through a friend, or we grew up together response when she ever so dryly answers..."Oh, through a bunch of losers I dated right before him." Bwaaahahaha. (That's you, Kathy, Laura and Cara! Not to mention Sarah and Faith!)

You get to know people you mainly speak to online now-a-days! Thanks to April, Steph, Rachel, Char, Deb, Chris, Karen and so many others that leave so many encouraging comments.

6.a Oh, and the people who probably think they aren't that important but spend a brief 10 minutes of each day with me chatting about nonsense and our weekends? You learn that their concern means so much. (That's you.. Renea, Emily and Julie.)

6.b And, to those friends you stopped hearing from all together with the diagnosis 6 months ago? You get to patiently hold your tongue and listen to their stories that they haven't known what to say, or no stories at all because you STILL haven't heard from them. Sigh. Either way, you learn a lot about your friendships...and that's a good thing.

7. You find that good friends actually listen when you say "Keep talking about normal stuff! I want to know about your co-worker that is driving you crazy! I don't want to talk about ME... or CANCER... all the time!!!" (That's you...Paula, Eric and family, Lee, Kathryn, Diane...too many to count.)

8. At some point you get to scream "I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS!!!!" and chop all your hair off yourself. It's liberating...and something a sane person wouldn't normally do unless he or she had this disease or one similar. Admit it, we've all wanted to chop our hair off at some point in our life when it just wouldn't mind. Now I have the perfect excuse.

8a You buy a bulk size container of Herbal Essences in March...and it only moves this much by June. Cost savings!!!

Photobucket

9. Food you probably shouldn't be eating anyway starts to taste really, really bad.

10. Food you probably shouldn't eat anyway starts to look really, really good. (That's you... Taco Bell.)

11. Your children tell you 16 times a day how beautiful you are, making you paranoid they've been prompted by someone. Who cares...it's still very sweet.

12. You become a millionaire by buying stock in Kleenex Co. Without nose hair? The amount I use each day is enough to make each stockholder rich.

13. No more expensive and painful eyebrow pluckings, and my arms are slick as butter. I could become an Olympic swimmer.

14. I thank Jesus every single day that although I will come through this, my small child was not stricken with it. Every mother says "I would take this from you if I could...." and I'm so thankful I don't have to say that.

Treatment was fine yesterday, and so was the testing on my head. :) I'm just as kooky as they expected me to be when they put me in the MRI machine. One more chemo to go. Love to all. :)

Cathy

7 comments:

  1. ONE MORE ONE MORE!!!!!

    RAH RAH RAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahwahahah! Loved the post, Cat. I actually laughed out loud (literally) at a few of them, and cried at a few more. I think that you should know that you and your blog has inspired SO many people and gave us an insight into this disease like no one else could. You are so strong and so upbeat (Yes, I know that sometimes you feel like you are not, but GIRL, you are. NO QUESTION!)And, your courage is so inspiring, you are a beautiful person, both inside and out (always have been) and I am glad to call you my friend! Now, enough sentimental crap! ONE MORE ONE MORE ONE MORE! Love ya! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to tell you that "I LOVE THIS!!" You really make me think about my life when I read your posts. So happy for you that treatment went good. Just one more to go....do you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet? Hope you have a good week! Love ya, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best Post Yet...You are an Inspiration to us All!! Luv Ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read #8 and am seriously thinking about chopping off my hair, because why not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Thanks all. Kathryn, my head feels pretty good since it's summer! I have a very light, thin dark layer but that's about it. I finally let Daniel use the clippers and buzz it the other day to get it all the same length. I tried with scissors but apparently it was pretty uneven. haha. I HATED having that buzzing thing on my head but I have the Sinead O'Connor look now and it's working for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, You are doing a wonderful job at all you do. I think back to when I first met you and thought to myself what a wonderful, kind, loving person. And that young girl is now a mother, wife, and friend to many who is fighting a horrible disease. I say when this is all over we need to have a big party for you and your family. Keep hanging in there we love you! Chris

    ReplyDelete