Sunday, July 25, 2010

Rads

One of the radiation nurses told me last Thursday's appointment was for even MORE preliminary scans and xrays. Well, it was- but they also gave me a treatment and told me I had to be back the next 17 days in a row. Because, it's not like I have a life or anything. On the flip side, because of these treatments I DO have life so I won't complain too much.

Photobucket

The black square looks like some funky futuristic TV and there are neon green lights shooting out of the walls of the actual room. The actual radiation comes from above my head- then the machine (3 inches in front of my face) rotates around the table and radiates me from underneath as well.

Once they line me up by my tatoos (which takes longer than the actual radiation) they get the heck out of there and the green lights shooting out of the walls make a grid in the room they that are viewing from their area. I have to stay very, very still or they will mold one of those horrible face masks for me and bolt me to the table. So, I can't tilt my head or look at these weird lights but I can see their reflection in the machine above my head. It's pretty freaky. The grid on my body made by these lights just helps keep me lined up. The spinning of the machine around me made me a little motion sick the first time because it felt like I was the one moving.

It's painless and quick. I will go in every morning (17 sessions) and put on a robe in a dressing room. Then they remove the robe, and I lie there self conscious and praying a fire doesn't break out...with me in no clothes. They line me up, run out of the room, the futuristic bright green lights come shooting out of the walls and all the buzzing and loudness of the machine begins. Then it rotates around me as I basically hold my breath to lie still. They drew on me again to have a picture of the exact areas being radiated in my file. It's my 'mantle.'

Me looking freaky in a tank top. I went to McDonalds and the car wash like this.
Photobucket

They radiate from under my chin...down my neck and into my chest as you can see. The circle in the middle is simply a tattoo...but it isn't that big. The technician circled the tattoo the first time so she'd be sure not to miss it.

So, my throat is going to get very, very sore. They told me to expect it to be worse than any strep throat Ive had. From the two treatments Ive had it's started burning and I've been forced to chug down ice cream (FORCED I tell you) so I know they aren't messing around. In the next week they'll give me something to help with pain.

I have a very special 'back' entrance that I use each day. I feel so VIP and A-list. :) It actually helps mentally because I don't have to walk through the whole center and pass my chemo room. Yuck.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Cat! What is 17 days after the last 6 months, right?!?! (YEAH, easy for me to say, huh?) I guess what I am trying to say is....YOU CAN DO IT! Love ya, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl!! You got this...it's all downhill from here and FORCED to eat ice cream...it's a great excuse for the next 17 days....LOVE THIS...it made me LOL!! Love ya, Kathy

    ReplyDelete