Monday, June 28, 2010

Things I've Always Known I Deserved...But Now Actually Try To Practice! :)

1. More than a cap full of bubble bath. Forget those directions from Avon 'Refreshing Pineapple.' You'll never get the bubbles you see in movies that way. Ditch the cap all together- the last few months I've been dumping 1/8 of the bottle right in.

Thanks to all of you that sent Walgreens gift cards; they went towards prescriptions and bubble bath.

2. I deserve to look at myself in the mirror a little closer. Forget the wrinkle here or there...or an extra pound... (or plural.) I now take a good hard look at myself a few times a week. That's how I noticed, and rejoiced in, my new hair sprouts!

3. Hot water when I simply wash my hands. I don't care if Noah is shoving a fork up his nose at Arbys...if I'm in the bathroom someone is tending to him. I now wait for the water to warm up before exiting. I used to rush and squirt some soap and freeze myself out with the cold faucet.

4. Me time. Noah and the girls will not be sent to therapy because I wasn't there for their every waking moment. A little time away is warranted. Thanks to my sis for keeping Noah the occasional weekend so I can rest.

5. Yearly physicals when nothing seems wrong. I deserve to get checked out once in a while for no real reason. Need I remind anyone that this cancer was caught by a massage therapist?? I wasn't exactly on top of my own health.

6. I deserve to be an advocate for my own health. When my onco or radiology chic say something I don't understand, I don't feel stupid for slowing them down. Why should I?? I'm paying for their homes in Ladue and their childrens' private educations.

7. If I want to DVR Housewives of New York and New Jersey marathons and watch them all in one afternoon I will no longer feel guilty about occasionally watching mindless TV. The one liners from that show put a smile on my face. A forty year old woman yelling at another "Jill!! You are a mean girl and you are in HIGH SCHOOL!!! And while you are in HIGH SCHOOL, I am in BROOKLYN!!" kept me laughing for a day.

8. To relish in things I hear all the time now, but won't forever. "Help me mommy and Kiss my boo boo" from my toddler, and "That was so awesome!!!" from the girls.

9. I deserve to have fun growing my hair back! :) I've never seen it start 'from scratch' so I'm trying to rock the G.I. Jane look and wear it as proudly as I can.

10. Cake. Enough said.

Love to all and thanks for the prayers. :)

4 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    Your damn right you do!
    You have shown many people what true strength is all about. It's not over yet and I am anxious to here what the PET scan says. You are over half way there.
    So sit down today and just look at the kids and smile because they have the greatest mommy ever.
    May God continue to look down upon you and keep you strong.

    Love ya
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little mindless TV is a good thing sometimes! I saw that episode and it was hilarious. Sending prayers your way- Tish

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list!!! the real housewives make the world a little brighter for me too. heehee

    ReplyDelete