Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The second radiation consult

Thursday's session went ok. I was given a damp washcloth that I sprayed with lavender scent. I breathed into it throughout the entire session and it helped ease the nausea brought on by the smells of the room. Can you believe I've been in chemotherapy since February? On my end- it's gone very slow but I'm thankful it's May now. Three more. Three more. Three more.

Daniel attended this treatment and when the nurse was done with one of the injections Daniel (for whatever reason) reached over to touch the paperwork hanging off the bottle. The nurse about had a cow. Covered in gloves and a mask, she slapped him away and advised him if one drop of a medication got on his skin it would eat right through the tissue to the bone in seconds. Yep. This is the junk being pumped into me every other Thursday.

That's why a nurse sits right by me and pushes 3 of my 4 drugs through the tubes to my port. If I feel any odd sensations they can stop it immediately before I instantaneously combust. :)

After chemo I will have a radiation simulation. They tightly secure me in a big bean bag that conforms and molds to every crevice of my body. It makes a mold and some fancy schmancy computer application creates Cathy #2 that will be used to guide radiation. They told me to take Ativan. It's not for the claustrophobic, which thankfully I am not.

I've gone 36 years without any marks on my body and within months I've acquired my oh so beautiful port scar and now I'm getting tattooed. That's right- permanently tattooed. I thought they were temporary! They're going to mark up my radiation field with black dots...down my neck, mantle and chest. I asked if they could make them into butterflies but they said there was an extra charge.

They try to limit the radiation field as much as possible and that's why everything is so precise. It's very different than radiation from even 10 years ago. They key is to limit lung, heart and breast involvement as much as possible to minimize the growth of secondary cancers in those areas. I can't imagine how things will change even more in the next 10 to 20 years.....

I will go EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for four weeks. I'm not sure how we're going to work that just yet but it will get done. The machine is tight and you're basically pinned in it- again for precision. They think I may be able to forgo the horrible, horrible face mask I've heard about so I'm happy about that. We'll find out for sure as we get closer.

Of course before radiation begins I'll get scans to see if the cancer is gone. If it isn't the whole plan changes. We're drawing up plans under the assumption that the cancer will be gone!!! :)

I'm looking forward to radiation. Strange statement, I know. Radiation means I'm done with chemo. I'll take it.

To the friends that gave me the Target gift card... I applied it toward a new hat and a tricycle for Noah! I'm very excited about that. I knew you'd yell at me if I spent it all on my kid. When I can get him to understand the concept of pedaling I'll post a picture. Right now he's still scooting.

Thank you all for the offers of help and support. Happy Cinco De Mayo!

5 comments:

  1. I Love You!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be Strong--Not much longer now--Luv you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there girl....I know easy for me to say right? But you have been so strong and you're on the downhill slope of things! Still praying for you that the end result is going to be cancer free!! God never gives us things we can't handle. Love ya, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 more, 3 more, 3 more! Keep going! You're on the downshill slope now and nothing can stop you now! Hang in there, girlie! We are all right there with ya! Love ya, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep you close every day with good thoughts and prayers. You are an amazing woman and remember " I am woman, Hear me Roar"

    ReplyDelete