Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The bone marrow extraction

I'm not usually one to shout my personal business from the rooftops. But considering I'll probably only have good friends and family viewing this blog, I will be completely honest with you about the bone marrow extraction. This is much easier than emailing each of you individually, and many of you are already aware of this.

The bone marrow extraction was pretty much a nightmare. He had prepared me that it would be uncomfortable and downright painful(they drill 3 separate holes into your bone) but the procedure was supposed to last about 20 minutes from beginning to end. I was on the table, on my stomach over an hour. When you look at your oncologist and he's perspiring from applying that much pressure with a drill- inside your hip- to your bone, it's not a good feeling.

Apparently I have the strongest bones known to man. Normally that would be a good thing. The marrow would not 'suction' out so it was borderline excruciating. They go deep, deep down in the bone to get different samples and bone cannot be numbed. Who knew bone even had that much feeling?

They can numb the nerves on the outside of the bone, but not down in it. It was pretty bad. They kept telling me how great I was doing lying still through all that. My doctor had never seen anything like my stubborn bone marrow. He said a lot of people actually have to be strapped down to take the normal 15 minute procedure- so I was proud I handled it so well at least. :)

Next time (let's hope there isn't one) I'm demanding a sedative.

No comments:

Post a Comment