Thursday, July 15, 2010

Radiation Simulation

Good News- I don't need a face mask!

They will be radiating low enough on my neck that it should not involve the area under my chin or face. I was extremely relieved that I don't have to go through the mask building process, and my team was happy as well!

Today they did several CT scans to see how my cancerous areas look. They used the oh so familiar contrast that leaves a horrible taste in my mouth for 24 hours. They were able to inject this through my port so I'm still getting use out of it. I did NOT enjoy being in the chemo room to have my port accessed, but it was good to hug all the nurses!

They drew all over my torso, chest and arms with a permanent marker. Then they gave me the tatoos. I have four right now and they basically look like moles. They used a needle, then injected the ink on my arms, chest and stomach area. These tattoos will be used to align me correctly for each treatment, but do not designate the radiation field. So, I think I'll be getting more tattoos soon.

I go back first thing tomorrow morning for another PET Scan. They have to get a clear picture of everything to proceed with treatment planning. I hate all these scans of the past six months, but I'm thrilled to get an idea of how chemo worked! The radiation team really only uses the results to plan treatment, so I'll probably have to wait to ask my questions to my oncologist that I see late in the month. IS IT ALL GONE???? I just need to hear it from someone, please!

So, everything I'm doing now is preliminary work for radiation to begin. They told me they will be building my plan into next week so I'm not sure when my treatments will begin. Likely next week or the week after. Daniel and I feel like we're dragging a bit, but this is all needed to get me the best treatment possible.

Now after all the chemo of the past several months, my body starts dragging about 8pm. There are nights I'm in bed the same time as Noah! It will be interesting to see how radiation effects me. Fatigue is common but you never know- I could sail right through!

So, if the weather cooperates we will spend this weekend outdoors! Skin sensitivity is very common- and I can't exactly wear a turtleneck to the pool- so we're trying to get out while we can!

Early scans tomorrow morning and I'm feeling a bit run down. Off to bed!

1 comment:

  1. you'll get your energy back in no time! xoxo and YAY for no face mask!!!

    ReplyDelete