Monday, July 19, 2010

I Got The Call

The cancer center always prepares me to wait several days for test results but then they always have them in 24 hours. Cancer has actually kind of spoiled me.

My phone rang at 8:05am with their number. I thought it was odd and the message stated I needed to schedule an appt. for more preliminary radiation work. Then the chic said "And we have your PET results."

Holy crap. Luckily Daniel went in late today so he was home. I worked up the courage to return the call and put it on speaker. This is how I remember it:

Radiation chic- "Can you come in Wednesday at 1pm to get set up for radiation?"

Me (in a daze)- No, but I can come in any time on Thursday. Is this the start of radiation?

Chic - No, it's more work to get you set but you need to get in soon. Thursday at 1pm will work.

Me - Ok.

Chic - Your PET results are in and I've given a copy to your doctor to review with you. The note from the radiologist that read the scan states "REMARKABLE REGRESSION."

Me, beginning to sob- Is it gone?

Chic - I hope you're crying because you're happy!! Are you there? Are you crying because you're happy?

Daniel - She's here. What does this mean?

Chic - I've never seen a radiologist take the time to write 'remarkable' on a scan before. She's had an extreme response to chemotherapy. Of course she still needs radiation to clean everything up but I hope she's crying because she's happy.

That's all I really remember. I didn't think to ask if I got the NED label, or can officially mark this date as the day I'm considered in remission. Either way I certainly won't forget July 19th. I'll ask when I see them this week, and of course my doctor will go over the scan with me on the 27th when I see him.

So, emotions are running high today. Yes, of course I'm happy; I'm in disbelief and the weight of the past six months has crashed down on me a bit today. This is all good news and I'm processing it, that's all.

I told some of my lymphoma friends online and one of them (my age, similar treatment and diagnosis as mine) responded:

Cathy,
I'm so happy for you! I've read your blog and you've had such a disaster with chemo. I hope rads is a snap for you.

I'm not sure why, and I'm a little loopy today emotionally but this made me laugh quite a bit. A disaster.... I hadn't thought of it that way until I read that! But now that I think of it, this has not been fun!!

For being such a 'good' cancer, I've certainly met my share of people that didn't get this good news. I'm thankful our prayers have been answered and thank all of you for your part in that. I have a zillion questions for my medical team but am 100% thankful for today's news. :)

5 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome is the only word that I can think of when I read this. I am so happy for you and so proud of you! For anyone who says that prayers do not work...they need to follow your blog! Congratulations, Cat! Hope radiation is a breeze and I can't wait to get together for a "Cathy kicked cancer's ass" party! :) Love ya, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that your "extreme" response to chemo when it came to side effects translated to an extreme response when it came to remission as well! This is the best news I've heard in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY YAY YAY!!! What wonderful news!! I got all teary reading it!! So happy for you and your family!! :)

    - Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got this thing beat!! See you on August 8th--Luv ya

    ReplyDelete