Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The call

When all the testing was complete, my doctor called me on February 5th, 2010 in the evening. I cannot say enough great things about my primary doctor (Paul Ganninger if you need one.) He's been so compassionate, responsive and just downright speedy. I was home alone and at this point had the hospital's number memorized. I knew that call was the news we'd been waiting for but I had to let it ring four times before answering.

Dr. Ganninger told me what Dr. Blurt it Out already had, but he now had the testing to back it up. I tested positive for Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He told me if you're going to have cancer, it's not a bad one to get. (Don't ever, ever say that to anyone you know with cancer, however. Not unless you're a doctor. You will likely get smacked.) He said it can be treatable and even curable! These words were heaven to my ears.

By the way, I haven't let myself google much during this time. All that information and inaccurate data will drive you nuts. I trust the words of my doctors and will rely on that for the most part. But, when I heard the name "Hodgkin's" I immediately thought- PEOPLE DIE OF THIS!! PEOPLE DIE OF THIS!! MR. OR MRS. HODGKIN MUST HAVE BEEN THE FIRST TO DIE OF THIS!!"

Well, yes- they do. But people can also supposedly die from drowning with only a spoonful of water in their lungs (so our 6th grader tells us) but I don't see that happening to me today. On this one I allowed myself to google and I learned that Hodgkin's Lymphoma is named after Dr. Thomas Hodgkin, who first described it. That was strangely reassuring.

Daniel and I practically celebrated that evening. I was thrilled that (hopefully) my toddler would not be raised without me. I was elated that I'd been told that it wouldn't be easy, but I could get to the other side of this- I could return to a semi-normal life when all of the treatment was completed.

That elation lasted about 24 hours before the day to day reality of cancer set in. By all means, I still carry with me extreme thankfulness that I should have a treatable form of this disease. I've known many people less fortunate than myself, including my own father and brother. What people say is true, finding NEW things to be thankful for will lift your spirits and put your life in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment